Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Simple But Good Paella Recipe

I'm intimidated by shellfish.  It's not that I won't eat them, in fact I really enjoy them, it's just that I don't really trust myself to cook them properly.  They're also quite expensive.  Therefore I often lean on this simple recipe when I have some extra time to make myself and others dinner.  The recipe can be made without the sausage so that a vegetarian or vegan can enjoy it as well.  The only modifier I would suggest is throwing some chili powder and papirika on the stew just prior to throwing it in the oven.  

"Ingredients


  • 2 links hot and/or sweet Italian sausage (about 6 ounces total)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
  • 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 cup Arborio or other medium-grain rice or converted rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped coarse
  • 1 1/2 cups water

    Directions



    Preheat oven to 400°F.
    Squeeze sausage meat from casings into a 10-inch heavy ovenproof skillet and add bell peppers, onion, and oil. Cook mixture over moderately high heat, breaking up sausage with a fork and stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to brown. Add rice and sauté, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and water and bring to a boil, stirring to loosen brown bits. Transfer skillet to oven and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until most liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper."


    Source: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Italian-Sausage-and-Bell-Pepper-Paella-13649#ixzz2U4DY4IOU

    No comments:

    Post a Comment